Why choose a bar?
1. SHAMPOO BARS ARE PACKAGE-FREE
This is by far the number one reason to make the switch. These little bars don't require any packaging which results in far less plastic waste. Be on the right side of change, the statistics don't lie.
- A million plastic bottles are bought around the world every minute and the number is projected to jump another 20% by 2021
- This equates to about 20,000 bottles being bought every second
- More than 480 billion plastic drinking bottles were sold in 2016 across the world, up from about 300 billion a decade ago. If placed end to end, these bottles would extend more than halfway to the sun.
- By 2021 annual plastic bottles sold is projected to increase to 583.3 billion.
- Fewer than half of the bottles bought in 2016 were collected for recycling and just 7% of those collected were turned into new bottles. That means, approximately 93% of the 480 billion plastic water bottles sold in 2016 ended up in landfill or in the ocean.
2. SHAMPOO BARS ARE VERY CONCENTRATED
The bars are more concentrated than traditional shampoos and conditioners, so you can use less per application and they will last longer.
A small bar of soap is essentially a dehydrated bottle of soap, you just hydrate it when you're using it, this means with a bottle the size difference is mostly just water.
Using a bottle liquid shampoo its very easy to use too much and as a result you overconsume. A shampoo or conditioner bar is much more difficult to overconsume because once you place it to your head it suds up right away so you can tell very quickly you've got enough.
3. SHAMPOO BARS OFFER A LOW CARBON FOOTPRINT
The overall carbon footprint is less with shampoo bars and conditioner bars. As mentioned, these solid bars are more light-weight and compact than their bottled counterparts, so they require less space during transport relative to the same amount of washes with liquid shampoo. Roughly ten to fifteen transport trucks of liquid shampoo would be needed for one transport truck of solid shampoo bars to get the same number of washes.
4. SHAMPOO BARS ARE SPACE SAVERS
Shampoo bars and conditioner bars are great for saving space. Being much smaller and more light-weight than their bottled counterparts relative to the number of washings you can get from the same amount of product, shampoo bars and conditioner bars help you save space. This comes in handy in a variety of situations, from keeping your bathroom cabinets decluttered, to packing for an upcoming camping trip.